Music is a way to express thoughts and feelings. These are especially heard in love songs. The singer or group voice emotion towards a special someone he, she, or they can’t live without. Love songs can be so powerful and they can trigger memories of a special someone in a person’s life. Soon it will be Valentine’s Day the special day where couples express and show their love for each other. Here are the 10 best love songs.
10. Amy Grant Baby Baby- According to songfacts.com Grant is a very popular singer in the world of Christian music, but this was her first big secular hit as a solo artist.
9. The Supremes Baby Love- Songfacts.com states this turned out to be The Supremes’ only UK #1, though they had many more in the US.
8. Minnie Riperton Lovin’ You- According to songfacts.com Riperton wrote this with her husband, Richard Rudolph. The site also states Riperton died of cancer in 1979 at age 31. While this was her only hit, she was held in high regard in the music community.
7. Janet Jackson That’s The Way Love Goes- It was the first single released under Janet Jackson’s record-breaking $32 million contract with Virgin Records, the largest recording deal in history until Janet’s brother Michael signed a whopping $50 million deal with Epic not long after according to songfacts.com. The site also states this song earned Janet Jackson a Grammy Award for Best R&B Song and a nomination for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.
6. Whitney Houston The Greatest Love of All- This was written by songwriters Michael Masser and Linda Creed. Linda Creed was recovering from breast cancer when they wrote the song in 1977 according to songfacts.com. The site also mentions originally recorded by George Benson, his version went to #24 in the US.
5. Tina Tuner What’s Love Got To Do With It -This won Grammys in 1985 for Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best Female Vocal Performance according to songfacts.com. The site also states at the second MTV Video Music Awards in 1985, this won for Best Female Video.
4. Captain & Tennille Love Will Keep Us Together- Songfacts.com states this was Captain & Tennille’s first #1 hit, and it was the biggest Pop hit of 1975. The site also mentions they did very well as a team, and have been together for more than 30 years.
3. Mariah Carey Vision of Love- she was 17 years old according to songfacts.com. The site states this won the 1990 Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female.
2. Queen Crazy Little Thing Called Love- At first, this was not released in the US. Since the album was not out yet, radio stations there started playing import copies of the single states songfacts.com. The site also mentions this section took on a poignant edge after Mercury’s death when the song was performed with guest singers, as the lyric was never altered regardless of the vocalist.
1. Boyz II Men I’ll Make Love to You- Songfacts.com states in the US, this was the biggest hit of 1994. The site also mentions this won the 1994 Grammy for Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal.
Valentine’s Day is all about expressing the feeling of love to a special someone, and this is exactly what these songs do. So on this day spend time with a special someone and listen to song of L-O-V-E.